Sunday, August 17, 2008

Farmer Henry and Summer Veggies

This is Farmer Henry enjoying corn. Granted, this corn was purchased at the Farmer's Market and graciously given to us by Rich and Kristl. But Henry is enjoying it even though it didn't come out of our garden. You have never seen a kid more excited about growing his own food than Hank. This love was fostered at a young age by Grandma and Grandpa who always grow grape tomatoes. I'm sure he has some of my dad's gardening genes as well. My dad is the only person I know that might rival Henry's interest in gardening. Last year when we moved into our house, we grew "Henry's tomatoes" in our front flower bed (yes, it was a little white trash, but oh well).

This year Kevin and I decided that since we have a big backyard full of dirt we may as well make the most of it before we landscape and plant a big garden. Henry has been enthralled. The first thing he asks when he wakes up from his nap is "Now can we go out to the garden?" He eats as many cherry tomatoes as he can stuff into his mouth and then helps me pick peppers, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, and whatever else might be ripe at the time. The kid's favorite snack is a cut up green pepper or cucumber from the garden.

The garden has been good for me as well. I have been having to plan my meals around fresh veggies and I have discovered some great recipes. We have SO many tomatoes that once they come on I am going to have to hone my canning skills...hmmm I know I should be excited about that, but it sounds hot and tiring tonight. Good thing grandma has a killer salsa recipe.

The picture below is up at our property. Henry and Maisie planted a garden of their own outside the play cabin. Henry will tell you they are only blossoms, but they will surely turn into something delicious with a little water and sunshine.

Henry with the first squash and zucchini of the season. The sweet taste of victory!


7 comments:

Pinky Lovejoy-Coogan said...

YUM YUM! I love homegrown veggies. Can't wait to see how much the garden grows - how fun! Of course, the canning part does make you sound a wee bit Molly Mormon...:) Perhaps you're a Molly deep down after all? Ha!

The Bayly's said...

I think there's some weird gene all the Rogers' grandkids are born with that makes love tomatoes from the time they have their first teeth to chew them with. But hey, you can't ask for a healthier snack!

Glad your garden is producing well, let me know if you need any help, or an extra canner to hone your skeelz.

Buffy Clark said...

I am actually really jealous that Henry loves the veggies that much...wish my kids did! I have also been loving the garden. Thanks for sharing!

The Gubler Gang said...

Yeah for Hank loving those veggies and yeah for you and Kev planting them for him. I would love to have a ginormous garden, but why put in the effort when we have papa's 3 doors up. We love enjoying the fruits of his labors.

Jenn and Brandon said...

Hi Megan, this is Jenn from Canyon Sports. Kevin told me to check out your blog! I LOVE blogging! I am totally checking it, um, all the time. Love it. Henry is so cute!

Christi said...

I should of known you'd have a garden eventually. You were always the plant lover! That is such a great experience for Henry, cool!

Debra said...

Sure wish I was your neighbor. No garden and nary-a-tomato from any of our friends or family. I think I'm missing a good opportunity to get the kids involved like you've done with Henry.