Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Perfect Day at the Beach


We had planned to spend Memorial Day weekend up at our property with Kevin's family. But new snow and cold weather up there prompted a last minute decision to road trip to California and spend some time with the Moats family instead. I'm sure this decision was influenced just a bit by the fact that we wanted to try out our new Subaru Outback on the open road and we are happy to report that the car did great. (32 mpg on the trip home...a nice tailwind helped).

On Saturday we decided to spend even more time in the car and drive 3 hours from Tehachapi to the Morro Bay area. It has been years since I had been there and a first for Kevin and Henry. We started our day by doing a hike along a rocky coast covered with Elephant Seals. It was really cool because the area was not roped off and you could walk right up to them. There were hundreds of them and they were fascinating to watch. The picture below makes them look as though they were dead, but they were just enjoying an afternoon nap.


The boys had a fabulous time crawling around the rocks and getting right up close to the Elephant Seals swimming and finding starfish and sea urchins. It was one of the neatest things we have seen.
Cousin Max with a starfish

Henry with a starfish

Sea Urchins ( I think...and I used to want to be a Marine Biologist)

Kevin, Meg, and Henry on the rocky coast (Elephant Seal in the background)

Henry on Papa's shoulders and Max on Christian's shoulders


Jack, Shelby, Max and Henry on the trail

Nana and Papa


Max, Henry, Shelby, and Jack showing off their muscles. Shelby is so good with the little guys, she will make a great pediatric nurse.

That evening we had a wonderful meal at this quaint little cafe off the harbor at Morro Bay. The food was FANTASTIC and the company was even better. It was an evening I will remember for a long time.

It just goes to show that a last minute change in plans can be a blessing. We had a great weekend. And I'm sure we will make it up to the Proper-D at some point this summer, if it will ever stop snowing.

9 comments:

Buffy Clark said...

Makes my weekend of seeing Indiana Jones look like diarrhea!!!! I wish I would have been with you guys.

Pinky Lovejoy-Coogan said...

I LOVE the Morro Bay area! I've got pics with probably the same sea lions..it's such a beautiful drive. How fun! Was the traffic terrible?

Justin, Catherine, Brayden and Peyton Andrews said...

I would take the beach over cold and snow any day! I have to live in the cold and snow! Yes we did get snow. I keep hoping for warmer temperatures but not so lucky yet! It looks like you had a great time!

Debra said...

I'm dreaming of the beach right now. Doesn't sound like such a bad change of plans!

Rich and Kristl said...

Your pictures were beautiful! What a great weekend away, but as always, we are glad you are back.

Anonymous said...

That. Looks. Cold.

Where I come from, "the beach" by definition is WARM.

Anonymous said...

My him says "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God".

I gotta take Silas since he still does plan to be a marine biologist. :-)

Christi said...

What a great Morro Bay trip! Beautiful pics. Your fam (M,B,S & Ma & Pa) are so NEAT!

Topsy said...

Hi Meagan! Just wanted to say hello. I found Molly's blog and wow the whole family has grown so much. But thankfully, you guys all look the same so you were easy to recognize. You family is beautiful!
Do you parents still live in the same house from when you were growing up. So many memories!
Nisa Belt