Friday, June 20, 2008

Out Of The Mouth Of Babes

I have fallen into a blogging trap where I think I have to have some fantastic event in order for it to be blogworthy, but the purpose of this blog was to note everyday happenings that I don't want to forget. So I am going to try to get into the habit of writing about the everyday things that make me happy. We'll see how I do.

So I have a few Henryisms that have kept us laughing the past week. Henry has fallen into a routine where he has become lazy and asks us to do things for him that he is perfectly capable of doing himself. For example, when he asks to go outside, I, being the nagging mother that I am, will tell him that he needs to put shoes on before he does. The shoes are downstairs so he will say "Mom, I need you to go downstairs and get my shoes for me." My typical response to this request is "Henry, you are a big boy, you can do that by yourself." So as Kevin and Henry were working side by side in the garden the other day, Kevin asked Henry to be a helper and go get him a tool he needed. You can probably see this coming can't you...the response Kevin got? "Dad, you're a big boy, why don't you go get it." How is it that they can turn on you at such a young age?

The next moment for us came in church on Sunday. Henry has hit the stage that most kids do where he thinks it is fun to call us by our first names. It hasn't become too much of a problem yet so we haven't made a big deal about it. However, I think it's time to put a stop to the practice. Kevin was asked to give the opening prayer and as he finished and walked back down to our pew (the chapel silent) Henry yells to him. "Good job Kevin!" It caught us all totally off guard and provided some comic relief for most of the ward.

And finally, as is the case for most men, the world has now become Henry's toilet. We held off as long as we could as I knew once he realized he did not HAVE to pee in the toilet, the novelty would be too much for him. And it was. We took Henry climbing for the first time on Saturday (we have some great pictures that Kevin vows to post soon) with some friends and while I was busy helping to belay Henry's little friend Erik, Henry suddently had to go. So with no one else around and a tree close by, I told him he could go on the tree and he looked at me like I was crazy, and then grinned, really big. I'm sure it was the most satisfying pee of his short life and I made a mental note that we would need to talk about WHEN this practice was acceptable. Well, I didn't have the talk with him soon enough. About four hours later we were at a family party, a very extended family party with relatives we see about once a year, when all of the sudden the laughter and pointing started and all eyes were on Henry who had dropped his drawers right in the middle of the backyard and was ready to unleash the firehose once again. Oops, bad mom moment. Waited too long to have the talk. Once he realized that everyone was laughing at him, he got embarrassed and I had to take him inside and have the talk that should have happened on the way to the party. Oh well. I think all little boys make that mistake once. Either that or they have more cognisant mothers.

7 comments:

Christi said...

Fun to read what Hank's been up too! Kids are so innocent and cute when they repeat adults! The peeing on trees can linger for years- watch out! A couple years ago (Toby was 9 I think) We had just gotten back from Lake Powell. At Powell anything goes and there's lots of getting off the boat and peeing on trees, etc away from the group (ya know, like camping) ANYWAY- Toby was at the park a week after we got home and ran over and peed behind a tree. There were no bathrooms at this park, but STILL he was 9 for Heaven Sakes! I thought I would die! It was time for a MAJOR talk then before he ended up in a Juvenile Detention Center somewhere!

Buffy Clark said...

You can tell that he has been wanting to pee outside of the bathroom for a little while...hence Henry almost peeing on Dixon a week ago. Better on the grass then on a person

Justin, Catherine, Brayden and Peyton Andrews said...

I would feel good if that only happened once to me. Boys will be boys. The other day Brayden went running out of the house and a moment later came back in. He had to use the bathroom but he couldn't go use the toilet he wanted to go outside. There is not much else you can do but laugh and hope they remember the talk at the important times!

Debra said...

Oh, these are great. You are in trouble. He's too smart for his own good--or for your good. The everyday things are the most fun to read and I'm glad you shared them with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh Meg. Way too funny.

Back when we lived in Summit Park, (you remember our driveway, a double black diamond with a dog leg turn!!) Silas got off the bus at the bottom of the drive then walked up. (he was in 1st grade) I just happened to be looking out of the front window, down the driveway one day as he got off the bus. He took about 3 steps off the street and stopped and peed. Right there on Parkview Dr in front of everyone. Plus it was winter so the snow....well you know. How embaressing. So then I had "the talk" and he tells me he has been doing this every day. OH MY STARS......

I hate to tell you, but this is just the first of many lovely moments being the mother of a boy. :-)

Rich and Kristl said...

PRICELESS!!!!
That Henry is one funny, and smart child. Darn those kids for using your words against you.

The Gubler Gang said...

Just wait for that day when he is in his room, and goes outside to pee instead of going across the hall. That one is a little tough on us ol' mom's that want to pretend like we have tried to instill some manners in them.
Don't call me for advice on this one, I can't get my two boys to stop!