Friday, March 14, 2008

Small acts of kindness

When Kevin and I got married nine years ago we were given a lot of advice and most of it could be summarized into remembering small acts of kindness for one another. Since Kevin is a romantic at heart, his acts of kindness are on more of a grand scale...writing songs, arranging private dinners at our favorite Cafe, and sending flowers just because. He is really good at making me feel loved and providing me with opportunities to impress my girlfriends. I, on the other hand, am a little more practical. My small acts of kindness are more along the lines of making him lunches, getting up in the night with Henry so that he can sleep, or always being the one to scoop the ice cream when it is treat night. Nothing quite as impressive as his displays. So when I arrived at the dentist last week for my 6 month check-up I was treated once again to a small act of kindness when I found that he had sent flowers to the dentist office for me. The receptionist assumed it must have been my birthday or our anniversary, but it was just a thank you from Kevin for all of the little things I do. It's a reminder to me that it doesn't matter how we remember to be kind to one another, as long as we do it. When I am picking Kevin's gray sweats up off of the bedroom floor for the one-millionth time, the flowers remind me of how much he appreciates it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg,
Love your blog, and what great posts! I'll have Kyle read this one :). Maybe one day I'll start a blog. Hope all is well!
Shannon

Rich said...

Thanks, Kevin. While making your wife feel terrific, you have inadvertently made life harder for the rest of us slouches who can't live up to your gestures. I owe you one, pal. (Really though, Kevin is a great guy. If everyone was as thoughtful as him, the world would be a better place.)

Debra said...

What a good blend you and Kevin are--thoughtful in your own ways. And both vitally important.