Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I'll poke you in the eye!"

While Henry has officially been a "kid" for sometime now, in the last few weeks he has really turned into a tease. This isn't too much of a shocker seeing as he has both nature and nurture to thank, or maybe I should say blame. Kevin is constantly pesting him and Henry has suddenly found a way to fight back. A typical conversation at our house sounds like this now:

Henry: "You can't get me, Dad."
Dad: "Oh yeah? Watch me." (Accompanied by some form of fatherly, annoying torture such as tickling, bonking, poking, etc.)
Henry: "You better watch it or I'll poke you in the eye!"
Dad: More pesting
Henry: "I'll chop you down like a tree! "
Dad: More pesting to the point of true torture and then finally a break
Henry: "You slack!"



What kills us is that he uses these terms in the perfect context everytime. There's nothing like being called a slack by your two-year old. As you can see in the picture, Henry has also figured out how to block an eye attack with his two hands. He is quick and I am certain that Dad won't have the upper hand forever.

The quandary now is to figure out how to teach a two year old time and place. Every day when I pick Henry up from school I am prepared to hear how he poked another kid in the eye, but so far so good. After every episode Kevin reinforces that they are playing and that "we should never really poke another person in the eye." But I still think it is inevitable. At some point, time and place will be forgotten and we will be explaining to a teacher somewhere that we really aren't horrible parents.

1 comment:

Justin, Catherine, Brayden and Peyton Andrews said...

I can't wait to hear about that phone converstaion. You know what to do Meg is hand the phone to Kevin and say deal with this! What a fun day that will be!!!!